Entry Procedure: All visitors except the Indian nationals must hold a passport and a valid visa. The visas can be obtained at the Nepalese Diplomatic Missions and Consulates abroad and entry points issue visa for visitors. The visa will be extended at the Department of Immigration.
Entry: A visa is necessary to enter Nepal and can be obtained for the following duration from any Royal Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or at the entry points in Nepal.
- The single entry tourist visa can be obtained from the entry points of Nepal or from the Royal Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad by paying US for 60 days.
- If the visitors, who has already visited Nepal under tourist visa, intends to come again within 15 days of the same visa year he/she can obtain entry visa by paying US for 30 days at the entry points or at the Royal Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad.
- Visitors who wish to stay for more that 60 days in Nepal can extend their tourist visa by paying the equivalent of US in the Nepalese currency for 30 days from the Department of Immigration.
- Business visa with multiple entry facility for the period of one year and five years can be obtained from the Department of Immigration on the recommendation of Ministry of Industry by paying the equivalent of US0 and US0 respectively in the Nepalese currency for the foreign investors.
ENTRY POINTS to Nepal
By Air: Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
Getting to Lumbini:
By Domestic Flight: A domestic airport is located at Bhairahawa which is 16km away from Lumbini. A 35 minute flight from Kathmandu will take you to Bhairahawa from where a local bus can be taken to Lumbini.
By Road: Lumbini is ascessible by road from both Nepal and India. From Indian cities such as Gorakhpur and Vanarasi, a bus can be caught to reach Sunauli/Behaliya (Indo-Nepal border) from where Lumbini is about an hours ride. Additionally, buses from Kathmandu and Pokhara leave for Lumbini every day.
Hotels and places to sleep
- Mayadevi guest house, Lumbini bazzar (In main market)
- Phone: +977-71-580354.
- New Cottage Lodge (M. Prabin Goswami) Siddharthanagar, Belahiya-1 (Sunauli) Nepal (200 m away from Sunauli border).
- Phone: +977-71-521968.
- Lumbini Garden Lodge (300-800 NRs) Situated in the main bazaar, east to the Main gate at just about 1 minute walk. The Mayadevi Temple is just 10 minute walk from this hotel, so the location is very good. The rooms at Lumbini Garden Lodge are clean and well maintained. They have big and nice rooms with attached bath and shared bath as well. Windows have mosquito nets too. They also have WIFI connectivity which is fast. It is peaceful to sit in the Balcony and get the view of Lumbini Bazaar.
- Phone: +977-71-580146
- Korean Monastery: Sleep in a dorm for 300 NRs, including 3 meals a day; No smoking (outside the gates it is allowed), no music, dancing, card games, etc.
- Sri-Lankan Pilgrims’ Rest House, about a 15 to 20 minute walk from main site.
- Gautam Buddha Lodge: (200-400 NRs) Situated in A nearby village. The owners are rude and the rooms seem to be infested with mosquitoes, spiders and cockroaches. Far from the main entrance.
- Pawan International Hotel, Main Road, SiddharthaNagar
- Phone: +977-71-523-680.
- Hotel NirvanaPaklihawa rd, Siddtha Nagar,
- Phone: +977- 71- 520837, 520516.
- Hotel Glasgow pvt ltdBank Road, SiddharthaNagar
- Phone: +977- 71-521737, 523737.
- Sunflower Travellers Lodge: Located in Buddhanagar, Lumbini, Sunflower Travellers Lodge has A/C and non-A/C rooms. It is run by very polite and helpful Chinese staff and the rooms are cleaned very frequently. They have laundry service, Wi-fi, massage, and vehicle booking. The lodge’s Chinese food is great and also has a western kitchen and wide selection of western deserts.
- Phone: +977- 71- 580004
- Buddha Bhoomi Guest House: In front of Lumbini east gate. All rooms have twin beds with attached bathroom, 24 hour running of hot and cold water, A/C and non-A/C rooms + Free wifi. Buddha Bhoomi Guest house also have good restaurant, fresh and hygienic foods.
- Phone: +977-71-580-326, 9841237358.
- Email: email@example.com
- Buddha Maya Gardens Hotel (near Lumbini garden)
- Phone: +977-71-580220.
- Lumbini Hokke Hotel.
- Phone: +977-71-580136
- Lumbini Hotel Kasai: Opened in 2009 in the Lumbini Sacred Garden, this Japanese-managed hotel offer rooms with air-con, refrigerator, en-suite bathrooms, and TOTO washlet. Japanese and Indian cuisine, prepared from fresh organic vegetables direct from hotel’s garden, are served in the restaurant. Airport shuttles are available.
- Phone: +977-71-580134
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wear clothing that expresses respect for the sacred nature of the site.
- Circumambulate the stupas and other sacred objects in a clockwise direction.
- Preserve the peace and tranquillity.
- Do not climb onto statues or other sacred objects.
Tourist Busses to Pokhara are available for 700 Rupees. You can buy them directly at the Bus stop or in your hotel. There is one Tourist Bus to Kathmandu, with A.C. for 1200 Rupees while Mini buses to Kathmandu can be taken for 900 Rupees.